> on 6/19/05 6:13 PM, bbrigante at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> >> Ammachi, Shree Maa, Karunamayi, Mirabai, Mother Meera, etc. etc.
> >

> > I will presume that none of these ladies are recluses since you
are
> > mentioning Ammachi first, and she is clearly not a recluse.
Anyway,
> > what happens today in India or since the beginning of the
Kaliyuga is
> > not relevant since this is not Vedic India. The Vedic literature
does
> > not indicate that ladies became recluses, except that sometimes a
> > wife would accompany her husband when they abandoned householder
life
> > and went to live in the forest after their kids were grown up.
>

> All of them are/were involved in teaching, and in most cases,
traveling to
> teach, (add Ananda Moyi Mi to the list), but none are/were
householders. So
> I guess that makes them recluses. Would you say Maharishi is a
recluse, or
> do you distinguish between recluse and monk?

I would use the ordinary dictionary definition of recluse here:

withdrawn from society; seeking solitude; "lived an unsocial
reclusive life"
hermit: one who lives in solitude

so anybody who is out teaching is not a recluse. However, after one
gains enlightenment, their desires are nature's desires. Guru Dev
took sanyas at age 34, and then remained silent when they asked him
to become Shankaracharya, which the people took to be an OK. The
point about OM is that use by people who are not suited to be
recluses will create problems (I'm talking about regular use of OM in
meditation, not occasional use), so householders should use
householder mantras.