Title: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: balancing techniques

on 6/20/05 10:05 AM, Llundrub at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Yes, just OM!

So I wonder whether meditating on OM by itself might make one a recluse while meditating with a longer mantra that contains OM might not, as my friend suggested in the comment I posted here yesterday.

I have a basic problem with these generalizations based on heresay.

For the basic reason that when I used to do TM at MIU I wanted to be a recluse and escape from all the cares of the world, and that was using my non-OM mantra. So I can only imagine if what Maharishi says about OM is true that I would have probably wanted to run screaming from samsara. Moreover, my desires had no support at MIU and I was miserable.

So I ask, what is the real difference?

My experience, which I consider to be the only important thing in the world, confirms for me that the mantras which I have used since TM, most of which contain OM as a part are extremely effective in very vaulable ways, and they have only bettered my life.

When I used to do Mahalakshmi Sadhana I used two main mantras which together are:
Om shrim klim mahalakshmiyei namaha Om shrim hrim shrim kamala kamalalayei praseed praseed shrim hrim shrim om mahalakshmiyei namaha.  Many Oms, I had much benefit from doing this 250,000 times.

Presently I have pretty much squelched my huge collection of practices just down to one or two basics.  Mainly I do the mantra accumulation on the Vajra Guru mantra - Om ah hum vajra guru peme sidhi hung.  Since I have focused down onto doing numbers of this one mantra every single thing in my life has become better.

Om itself is or isn't important depending upon where it is in your practice and what it's purpose.  I hope this helps.  I hardly see why people are afraid of such a holy word, when they constantly use unholy words at every turn without fear.