On Oct 6, 2008, at 12:06 PM, shempmcgurk wrote:

Yes, I remember what you geniuses were saying back then about global
warming:

http://tinyurl.com/3xfoak

Didn't quite work out as you predicted, did it?

It's like when a witness who has changed his testimony appears in
court and is inevitably asked under cross examination: we know you're
a liar because you've already been proven to be one; the question is,
were you lying then or are you lying now?

So back in the '70s it was an ice age that we were supposed to be in
the middle of by the time the year 2008 rolled by.  Gosh, that didn't
happen.

So the fear-mongers had to come up with a new strategy...so they
changed their minds and decided that it would be the OPPOSITE that
would happen: we'd all roast under increased warmth!

So tell me: were you right back in the '70s?  Or are you right now?

Actually what they were saying when I was in college is that there were two possible scenarios: potential ice age OR global warming. They just didn't know which one (c. 1978). The important thing was that they knew, way back then, that manmade climate change was a real possibility. The sad thing is that non-scientific interests have tried to muddy the waters ever since then.

Thank god for Al Gore, he may have saved the planet.