I just got back from seeing it at the film festival.
And I think that everyone here should see it, but
I'll be the first to use the Judy-word and describe
it as snarky.

Snarky is just what Bill Maher DOES, and that is
one of his great strengths, but it does kinda limit
the audience you can appeal to to those who agree
with your particular brand of snark.

The film was very funny in parts, and got quite a
few laughs, each of them well-deserved. But at one
point in the film, Bill trots out the statistic that
in America 16% of the population lists themselves as
non-religious. THAT is the audience that Maher is
speaking to.

And there is nothing wrong with that, because a lot
of those people in that 16% still are intimidated by
the centuries of persecution in which it not only
wasn't "proper" to criticize or poke fun at religion,
doing so could cost you your life.

His clear message is at the end of the film, and I
agree with it wholeheartedly, snark or no snark. We
live in an age in which many, if not most, of the
predominant religions teach Apocalypse, and to fol-
lowers who actually HOPE that it will happen, and
that it will happen in their lifetimes.

This is insanity. When you have millions and millions
of people on the planet ALL believing and hoping that
the end is near, well, I'm sorry, but the end really
IS near. Consciously and subconsciously, they are help-
ing to bring that fiery end to planet Earth by dwelling
on it each and every day. Maher is absolutely correct
IMO that we who are in that non-religious 16% should
speak up every time we see some nutcase preaching
hatred and bigotry and violence and Armageddon.

I just wish that Maher had been able to find a way
to speak to the other 84% of Americans, the ones who
have faith. Many of us many find their faith ridicu-
lous, whether it is in a talking snake and a guy
living for three days in the belly of a whale and
a virgin birth or whether it is a blue-skinned flute
player fucking 1000 cowherds in one night and a guy
with the head of an elephant and another guy who is
really a monkey. And most of us know -- if from
nothing else our experience on this forum -- that
there is NOTHING one can do to talk a person out of
even the most ridiculous religious beliefs. If they
believe it now, they will believe it until they stop
believing it on their own, and no amount of rational
argument can change that simple fact.

But we might be able to get even the most mindlessly
faithful person to *think through* the ramifications
of believing that the world is in its last days.
That's not faith; that's ego, and really, really
*dangerous* ego. That's an insecure ego shouting to
the world, "I'm so important that the world is going
to die when I die...or at least I hope so."

All in all, Religulous is a flawed but interesting
and at times very funny look at some of the silly sides
of religion, and at some of the downright frightening
sides of religion. In my opinion, as human beings we
should not only be free to criticize and make fun of
other people's religions, we should almost be required
to criticize and make fun of our own. The most destruc-
tive dogma in ANY religion is that anything we could
possibly say or do with regard to that religion or
spiritual path could ever be considered Off The Program.