--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   I think the crowning point of my cognitive dissonance was
> > during the Taste of Utopia.  The Minister of Cultural Integrity for
> > the US was introduced to us.  She was a comely Westener wearing a
> > sari. I suspect I was the only person in the steel shed who asked
> > himself "what's wrong with this picture?"
>
> In San Francisco, I've seen many young western women wearing saris
> during an ISKCON summer festival.  It's not as strange as you may
> think.

Lost on you too, alas.  Cultural Integrity for the US.  It's not part
of American traditional culture to wear a sari.  That's what was wrong
with the picture.

> > I was on IA 5-6 weeks ago and resided about half a mile away from
> the
> > Pandits in Vedic City.  There is
> > something more powerful for words going on in IA and with the
> pandits.
> > I felt the effects in myself and saw it in my buds. There is a very
> > pronounced, earthy, very masculine something in the air as one would
> > expect if doing daily yagyas to a big phallic symbol.  Nonetheless,
> > couldn't bring myself to watch Krishna being carried by the pundits
> > on its way to being dumped into a lake.
>
> There must be symbolic meaning to this ritual.  It may not be as bad
> as you may assume.

It wasn't the ritual that turned me off.  Where there are RUs I want
to puke.  OK, I can feel bliss and still not dress and act like a
blissninny and those who do really turn me off.  The ceremony was
married by hundreds of blissninny RUs.

>   I suffer from a great deal of
> > loneliness when it comes to the TMO and its activities.  I feel
> like a
> > stranger in a strange land.  I'd be happy if all the tapes and
> > speachifying were replaced by constant reruns of the Humboldt tapes.
> >

> I have not heard of the Humboldt tapes.  Maybe the TMO should sell
> them on its publication network.

What I term the Humboldt tapes are actually the residence course tapes
which came out of the taping of Maharishi's lectures at Humboldt.
Maharishi was very intimate, very clear, very charming.  One of my
favorite tapes is Love is Always Directed towards the Self.  It starts
off with a CP asking about the love of a man for a woman.  Maharishi
turns it into a talk about love then goes on to explain that
everything, love included, is directed towards the Self. He developed
the lectures at Humboldt very well, taking people from where they were
coming from to where he was coming from.