--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Interesting how she says, "Paris, France," not just "Paris," as if
she
> thinks that a lot of the people she is talking to wouldn't know that
> Paris was in France unless she told them. Or maybe she only just
> learned that fact herself. Large European cities like Paris, London,
> Rome etc., are usually referred to just by their names, since
everyone
> knows what country they are in -- except, perhaps, the Palinites.

Uh, no, feste37.

If you were from Canada, you'd know that whenever you're talking
about "London", you always say either "London, England" or "London,
Ontario" because if you don't qualify it, your listener won't know
which city you're talking about.

Being in Alaska and apart from the Lower 48, she's in the same
proximity to Paris, Texas as she is from Paris, France.  Palin is
appropriately identifying which "Paris" she is referring to.  This is
probably a cultural thing, something you're not familiar with but I
can assure you that people that live near Paris, Texas will always
qualify which city they're talking about in general conversation.

The movie "Paris, Texas" (starring Nastasia Kinsky and Harry Dean
Stanton) isn't called "Paris" for a reason.

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "do.rflex" <do.rflex@> wrote:
> >

> > Sarah Palin, ever the moron, in her big "policy speech" yesterday:
> >
> >     Where does a lot of that earmark money end up anyway? [...]
You've
> > heard about some of these pet projects they really don't make a
whole
> > lot of sense and sometimes these dollars go to projects that have
> > little or nothing to do with the public good. Things like fruit
fly
> > research in Paris, France. I kid you not.
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCXqKEs68Xk
> >

> > Scientific research with fruit flies has led to valuable
discoveries
> > that have boosted autism research, as a study at the University of
> > North Carolina demonstrated last year:
> >
> >      Scientists at the University of North Carolina at Chapel
Hill
> >      School of Medicine have shown that a protein called neurexin
is
> >      required for..nerve cell connections to form and function
> >      correctly.
> >
> >      The discovery, made in Drosophila fruit flies may lead to
> >      advances in understanding autism spectrum disorders, as
> >      recently, human neurexins have been identified as a genetic
risk
> >      factor for autism.

http://localtechwire.com/business/local_tech_wire/biotech/story/180966
0/

> >      The study of fruit flies has also been used for other autism
> >      research and "revolutionized" the study of birth defects.
> >
> >      http://thinkprogress.org/2008/10/24/palin-fruit-flies/
> >

> > Take it away, PZ Myers, biologist and associate professor at the
> > University of Minnesota:
> >
> >     This idiot woman, this blind, shortsighted ignoramus, this
> > pretentious clod, mocks basic research and the international
research
> > community.
> >
> >     You damn well better believe that there is research going on
in
> > animal models — what does she expect, that scientists should
> > mutagenize human mothers and chop up baby brains for this work? —
and
> > countries like France and Germany and England and Canada and
China and