Really?  Perhaps you don't read the same Gita as I do.  I don't have a
translation with commentary with me but I remember Maharishi's spin on
"denying the senses" was that it had nothing to do with austerities;  that
the Gita means instead that you should not identify with the objects of
perception.  By transcending and establishing that in our consciousness we
"deny" our senses.

People who experience don't say the same things.  Then of course there's
exactly how Hindi translates to English.

Maharishi was using his words to describe enlightenment in the exchange, I
assert.