It seems an appropriate question for this forum. Whatever
our differences, its members have probably spent an average
of 30 years each being fascinated by enlightenment and the
pursuit of it. And we still are, or we wouldn't be here.
Whether we still believe in the concept of enlightenment
or not, we're still here every week discussing it, or
things related to it.

Over the years, we've all been presented with a number of
ideas about enlightenment -- what it is and what it is not.
These ideas have ranged from the ordinary (enlightenment
is nothing more -- or less -- than waking up to what is
already going on) to the extraordinary (enlightenment --
"full" enlightenment, whatever that is -- is so special
that those who achieve it cannot help but be perfect in
their thoughts and actions, and can do things that normal
humans can't, like levitate and know The Truth About
Everything).

We've also been taught -- in most of the spiritual traditions
represented here -- that achieving or realizing one's enlight-
enment is the highest path available to human beings. I know
that I have certainly been told that everything else --
EVERYTHING else -- is secondary to the pursuit of one's
enlightenment. Or that it should be.

I just realized that today is the anniversary of the first
time I formally meditated, and thus stepped onto a spiritual
path. And here I am, 42 years later, still on it. Go figure.

And at the end of 42 years on that path, I find myself still
believing in the existence of something called enlightenment.
Heck, I can't very well doubt that one -- I've spent days and
weeks at a time in subjective states of consciousness that
mapped one-to-one to all of my spiritual teachers' descrip-
tions of enlightenment. And they were neat, these periods
of time spent out of time, but they tended to be more
ordinary than extraordinary. They came, they went, and they
still do. But the bottom line for me is that the time I spend
in those states is no more special or meaningful than the
time I spend in the ordinary waking state.

As for the *really* extraordinary shit, the siddhis, I have
performed a few of the minor ones myself, and have seen a
few of the major ones being performed by someone else. And
that was fun, but to be honest, over time the extraordinary
shit turned out to be pretty ordinary, too.

So, as a result, I have to find myself saying, in answer to
the question in the Subject line, "No, I don't think enlight-
enment is all it's cracked up to be." I think it's much less
than what it's cracked up to be. And more. It can't EVER
be what it's cracked up to be, because it was "cracked up to
be" something to us in words. When it comes to enlightenment,
words just don't cut the mustard.

I think that if you get off on the idea of enlightenment more
than you get off on the other things in your life, then by all
means you should pursue it. And you should pursue it gung-ho,
one-pointedly, if that's how you think such things should be
done.

But I'm going to pass on that one. Been there, done that, didn't
find "there" that much different or better than "here." I'm
going to focus on appreciating here, and now, and leave pursuit
of something that lies in their future to those who like that
sorta thing.

What do you think?