> bob_brigante wrote:
> >     *  [New York Times]  <http://www.nytimes.com/>
> > Thursday, October 30, 2008 Still Spooked by High-Fructose Corn
Syrup
> > [INSERT DESCRIPTION] Many Halloween sweets start in the cornfield.
> > (Peter Wynn Thompson for The New York Times)
> > By now most everyone has seen ads from the Corn Refiners
Association,
> > claiming that our fears about high-fructose corn syrup are
misplaced
> > <http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/12/sweet-
talking/> .
> > Since our kids will soon be loading up on Halloween treats laden
with
> > the substance, it's a good time to consider why so many people
find
> > corn sweeteners so scary.
> <snip of Bob's latest book :-D >
>

> I like when I go to the movies to have my rare treat of a Pepsi not
diet
> because I hate Nutrasweet more than corn syrup and the body doesn't
like
> getting fooled.  I would have thought by now the mega drink
corporations
> would be offering just straight sugar non corn syrup versions.
Doing a
> search I believe it was Coca-Cola that was going attempt that but
it is
> not on the shelves but I was led to another brand that I was able
> find at a local store.  Red Bull.  Yup, if you like an occasional
soda
> Red Bull Cola is all natural and just sugar and no not loaded with
extra
> caffeine to turn it into a power drink.   Another choice might be
your
> local Indian grocer if they stock Thumb's Up an Indian import cola
that
> is if Thumb's Up hasn't gone cheap and started using high fructose
corn
> syrup.
>
> As for Halloween, it's my night out for a movie instead of staying
home
> and answering the door and poisoning kids with candies.  Tonight
will be
> most likely Clint Eastwood's "The Changeling" which opens up the
> hill.... unfortunately.  I say that because if it had already been
there
> a week then it may not be as crowded.  See I'm not the only one who
> knows what to do on Halloween. ;-)

**********

I've pretty much eliminated soda and drink juice, but when I drink
soda, Hansen's, available at the supermarkets as well as the health
food places, is a sugar-only alternative to the corn drinks. For
sure, Nutrasweet and other artificial sweeteners are suspect and very
likely to be anything but bad for health. Anyway, sugar is sattvic in
moderation in Ayurveda. You can smuggle in your Hansen's in your
jacket, be cheaper than the theater ripoff anyway.

The Changeling story is true and utterly shocking story of LA police
(not that anything they would do would shock most LA residents ):

(contains movie spoilers)
http://tinyurl.com/5wjnw6