--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, enlightened_dawn11
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
> wrote:
<snip>
> > Has nothing to do with "editorial perfection." I'm
> > saying you read into my comments something that wasn't
> > there and missed what was there.
> >
> motes of dust...fine, i retract what i said as having anything at
> all to do with your comments, and stand so corrected.

Thank you.

> now i am curious, what do you think about the general premise i was
> making, and the conclusion i reached?

OK, let me move them down here:

I think that's *sometimes* the attitude, but by no
means "always." I also think there's a range of
possibility in terms of meeting standards. No public
figure is going to meet an absolute standard, but
some come closer to it than others, in terms of the
nature of their associations and the degree to which
the associations seem repellent.

And I think Obama tends to *invite* this kind of
criticism because he really does present himself as
holier-than-thou, spotless and untouchable. Plus
which, some of his repellent associations have been
quite recent, such as with the homophobic "reformed
gay" Donnie McClurkin.

Just in general, if he had been more straightforward
and forthcoming about his past associations from the
get-go, it would have been much more difficult for
folks to use them against him.

So I think there's some truth to your premise and
conclusions, but the situation isn't nearly as cut-
and-dried as you make it sound.