--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, enlightened_dawn11
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> i find it odd that those who would criticize our next President for
> the company he may keep hold him to an impossible standard, and one
> that is impossible for any public figure to uphold.
>
> the way these accusations are always framed imply that as a public
> figure, you are responsible for the lives, values, judgments,
> speech and actions of everyone you have ever had more than a
> passing association with, past and present.
>
> that is completely absurd, and certainly does not reflect the
> christian values of forgiveness, compassion and self-reflection. it
> is a really ugly spin.
>
> what is the next step? we draw up a list of each of the major
> candidates' associations from the time they reached 18 'til now,
> match each association against criteria that define each
> association as "palling around" or not, and then take a microscope
> to each of the people's lives deemed to be "palling around" with
> the candidate in question?
>
> pardon me, but what a load of bullshit.

As a point of passing historical interest, from
the token Cathar freak on this forum, this load
of bullshit was first popularized by a man named
Domenico Guzman, and the brotherhood of Dominican
monks he founded, otherwise known as the Office Of
The Holy Inquisition.

All trials held by the Inquisition were pretty much
a foregone conclusion; if you were called before
the Inquisition, you were guilty. So the *point* of
the trials was not to "punish the guilty." It was
to provide a public forum as, tortured into doing
whatever they were told to do, the heretics "named
names." That is, they were made to "confess" the
names of pretty much everyone they knew or had
ever known.

And the reason for extracting these names was to
inspire terror in the general population, because
the rule of law under the Inquisition was that if
you knew a person who had been condemned as a heretic,
you were a heretic, too.

Done deal. It didn't even matter if you had just
talked to him on the street, you were as guilty as
he was, and as liable to be sent to the stake.

It was a brilliant form of mindfuck then, and it
is now. The purpose of this tactic was to make the
population afraid to even talk with folks who might
have "heretical ideas."

Me, I want as leader of my country someone who is
unafraid to sit down at a table with ANYONE, and
talk things over with them. I want that leader to
actually *listen* as the other person speaks, and
try to figure out where he's coming from. And I
want that leader to weigh what the other person
says in coming to a reasoned and rational decision.

To suggest that it is bad to talk to someone who
thinks differently than you do is to suggest that
it is bad to think.