> <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> >
> > > That's why I was so struck by his demeanor on election
> > > night. As Patrick suggested, I think he was having an
> > > "Oh, shit!" moment, realizing that even this
> > > wonderfulness might not be enough to fulfill the hopes
> > > he had encouraged people to invest in him.
> >
> > I re-listened to sections of his speech to try to detect
> > what you felt about it.
>
> Did you just listen to the audio, or did you watch
> the video?
>
> > I still don't think it reflected self doubt.  If I were to
> > guess, I would say that his slightly subdued demeanor was
> > graciousness in winning.  Not gloating over the fact that
> > he just crushed McCain.
>
> You might want to take a gander at his victory
> speeches during the primaries for comparison.

You can't compare primary speeches and election speeches.  Primary
speeches are to keep pumped up for the next stop.  Victory speeches on
election night are never boisterous affairs, it's considered bad form.
 He was subdued -- his last campaign stop was that afternoon in
indiana after which he was finally able to take time to process his
emotions over his grandmother's death, plus the transition team meets
the next day to start on that process.  I can't imagine being elected
president at this time in the country and not feeling the weight of
the task unless you're a total lightweight like bush or palin who'd
certainly view as an opportunity to celebrate ME ME ME.