[...]
> Why on earth would she have risked it??
>
> Peter, if anybody, should know that memory is
> fallible, especially of stressful events. Even if
> she hadn't been under sniper fire, it was a
> dangerous situation. I think she "remembered" what
> she--and everybody else involved--had been afraid
> might happen.
>
> Ronald Reagan told similar stories about himself,
> long before his mind had begun to deteriorate.
>
> I doubt any of us doesn't have some "memory" of
> something that never happened. It's just that most
> of us haven't had the events of our lives recorded
> by press and cameras to remind us of the truth.
>
> I think we tend to fixate on such slips by public
> figures to give ourselves a concrete excuse to
> reject them when we have a visceral dislike for
> them for which we have no rational basis.

I find myself remembering recurring dreams as though they
actually happened, and then realized that the details were entirely
unrealistic, even surreal. I wouldn't doubt that she has had
bad dreams about her and her daughter being under fire during
that visit. Literally a nightmare scenario for a mother.

Lawson