TurquoiseB wrote:
> As someone who has seen Europe start to develop
> some of the bad eating habits of America, and
> the attendant rise of obesity in its children,
> I find this article somewhat of a wake-up call:
>
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/11/fat-kids-have-the-arterie_n_143115.html
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/5lnv7s
>
> Fat Kids Have The Arteries Of 45-Year-Olds, Study Shows
>
> NEW ORLEANS — Obese children as young as 10 had the arteries of
> 45-year-olds and other heart abnormalities that greatly raise their
> risk of heart disease, say doctors who used ultrasound tests to take a
> peek inside.
>
> "As the old saying goes, you're as old as your arteries are," said Dr.
> Geetha Raghuveer of Children's Hospital in Kansas City, who led one of
> the studies. "This is a wake-up call."
>
> The studies were reported Tuesday at an American Heart Association
> conference.
>
> About a third of American children are overweight and one-fifth are
> obese. Many parents think that "baby fat" will melt away as kids get
> older. But research increasingly shows that fat kids become fat
> adults, with higher risks for many health problems.
>
> "Obesity is not benign in children and adolescents," said Dr. Robert
> Eckel, a former heart association president and cardiologist at the
> University of Colorado-Denver. It is why the American Academy of
> Pediatrics recently recommended cholesterol-lowering drugs for some
> kids, he noted.
>
> Raghuveer wanted to see if early signs of damage could be documented.
> She and colleagues used painless ultrasound tests to measure the
> thickness of the wall of a major neck artery in 70 children, ages 10
> to 16. Almost all had abnormal cholesterol and many were obese.
>
> No one knows how thick a 10-year-old's artery should be, since they're
> not regularly checked for signs of heart disease, so researchers used
> tables for 45-year-olds, who often do get such exams.
>
> The kids' "vascular age" was about 30 years older than their actual
> age, she found.
In general the society is going toward a more sedentary lifestyle. I
have yet to see any doctor or nutritionist develop and trumpet a
"sedentary diet." IOW, a diet tailored for those who aren't exactly
living a more active lifestyle even if they are going for a walk daily.

The "baby fat" BTW does validate the claim from ayurveda that childhood
through early 20's people tend to be a bit kapha. That's often why kids
get colds and flu more often than adults. The other thing I'm thinking
about is the claim that lower fat diets tend to lengthen lifespan but in
many cases may not be very satisfying and protective of stress. "Comfort
foods" tend to be vata balancing and as we get older, in general, we
become more vata (that's why the skin dries up and we begin to age). If
allopathic medicine would get off their high horse and start to look
more at medical traditions that have existed far beyond the few
centuries allopathic has been around they might learn something and come
up with some solutions.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: