> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, bob_brigante <no_reply@>
wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "I am the eternal"
> > <L.Shaddai@> wrote:
> <snip>
> > > Post partum often a woman is not thinking really well.
> > > There's even postpartum psychosis involved.
> >
> > *******
> >
> > Yes, that's true. But I think for a significant number of
> > women, the baby is just a burden who they can't or don't
> > want to deal with, and thus the trash can
>
> I suspect tossing a live child in a trash can
> or dumpster indicates serious psychological
> disturbance, postpartum or otherwise, in either
> sex.
>
> Such an act seems more likely to be due to
> postpartum psychosis than postpartum depression
> (they're considered two different conditions),
> but the former is quite rare (estimated at 1-4
> per 1,000 births), whereas the latter is
> relatively common (13 per 100). Only in really
> extreme cases of postpartum depression will a
> mother actually harm the child (she may be more
> likely to harm herself).

*********

I'm inclined to agree that tossing the kid in the trash (rather than
leaving it in a public area where it has a chance of survival) is
probably a sign of a deeply disturbed individual, but possibly could
be a person who simply doesn't give a shit, which is its own sort of
pathology, of course. People who simply don't want a child for
whatever reason can leave it out in the open, where somebody else can
find and care for it. This has been common practice among poor people
for some time.