From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: John McCain for Secretary of Defense?
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, November 17, 2008, 8:19 PM

That's a BAD idea.  He'll make Rumsfeld look like a puppy.  He can
lead the US to war with Iran.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> "A source in Chicago informed me earlier today that John McCain
will be
> meeting with Obama and his handlers tomorrow in Chicago in order to
> discuss the possibility of a Secretary of Defense appointment. That
> McCain will be in Chicago tomorrow is corroborated by an article
London
> Times

<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_electi
on\
> s/article5167418.ece>  published one hour ago.  The Times, however,
> claims McCain will most probably not be appointed to a Cabinet
position.
> But he will be consulted on topics on which he and Obama have
> "common ground." This certainly does not preclude the
> possibility of an appointment of McCain to Secretary of Defense."
> Senator John McCain as Obama's Secretary of Defense?
> <http://www.noquarterusa.net/blog/2008/11/16/senator-john-mccain-as-
obam\
> as-secretary-of-defense/>
> By Chicagoan on November 16, 2008 at 3:39 PM in
> <http://www.noquarterusa.net/blog/category/john-mccain/>
>
> Barack Obama has already stated an intention to appoint at least one
> Republican to his cabinet.
> <http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/15/obama-pledges-to-
appoint-\
> republican-to-cabinet/>  Citing Abraham Lincoln as a precedent,
Obama
> will even consider political enemies for powerful positions in his
> administration.
>
> Our source maintains that McCain will visit Chicago tomorrow in
order to
> discuss the Secretary of Defense appointment. Even if Obama chooses
not
> to appoint McCain to this position, it raises a series of questions:
>
>     * Why would Obama consult with someone who his campaign
surrogates
> called a warmonger
> <http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/04/barack-backer-
c.html>
> on his choice for Secretary of Defense?
>     * How would a McCain appointment to Secretary of Defense herald
the
> new foreign policy Obama touts, especially when Obama characterizes
> McCain's foreign policy as an extension of that of George W. Bush
> <http://www.barackobama.com/issues/> ?
>     * How will Obama's supporters react to the appointment of John
> McCain to Secretary of Defense?
>     * Why would Obama consider or consult with John McCain when he
has
> consistently cited Chuck Hagel as the type of Republican with whom
he
> could collaborate on defense and foreign policy matters?
>     * Does the knowledge that McCain will visit Chicago in order to
> discuss the Secretary of Defense position with Obama signal that
Obama
> may not consider extending the tenure of John Gates, George W.
> Bush's appointee, as Secretary of Defense?
>     * And how is prolonging Gates's tenure "change?"
>     * Is Obama considering McCain for Secretary of Defense in order
> make McCain's Senate seat available to Janet Napolitano? Is this how
> Obama will secure a supermajority in the US Senate?
>
> Obama desires to fashion himself as an Abraham Lincoln, as a man
who can
> cooperate with his fiercest detractors. Appointing John McCain to
> Secretary of Defense would certainly continue the tradition of
Lincoln
> of forging relations of cooperation and collaboration with one's
> adversaries. While this is laudable, it does reveal Obama's acute
> awareness of his lack knowledge of matters of foreign policy and
> defense. It also reveals that Obama never truly believed the
criticisms
> he leveled against McCain during the general election.
>
> Whatever the case may be, we know McCain will be in Chicago
tomorrow in
> order to discuss the Secretary of Defense position with Obama.
However
> one may feel about McCain's stance on defense and on foreign policy,
> Obama's supporters should find their candidate's willingness to
> consult with a "warmonger" antithetical to the stance Obama
> assumed during the election. But then again, Obama has been
anything but
> consistent, and his supporters certainly did not support him for
matters
> of policy or of ideology.
>
> I guess we will know if McCain was offered the position of
Secretary of
> Defense tomorrow night or some other day next week. Will Obama ask
> McCain to complete the 63 page questionnaire? And will McCain
complete
> it?
>
> McCain will certainly serve his country in any capacity: his
motives are
> not to be questioned. But we should question Obama's motives for
> considering McCain for Secretary of Defense. Share your thoughts
about
> the information our source related earlier today about McCain's
> visit to Chicago tomorrow in the comments thread.
>
> Comment
>
> Wow!!!
>
> I was thinking of McCain as Sec of Defense before I went to bed last
> night.
>
> I think it would be great as McCain wants victory with Honor in
Iraq and
> understands the other systemic threats in the area.
>
> Obama should also appoint Sarah to a position that helps special
needs
> children
>
> If Obama does all these things and appoints Hillary as SOS it really
> could be a new day in America
>
>        Comment
>
> Yes it truly would be a new day in American politics. A dreadful
day as
> the two party system disappears and Obama solidifies control over
the
> nation. This is nothing more than a willful attempt to silence
> opposition covertly. Obama is a master tactician and it is on
display
> again. Any who disagree with him are part of the past and should be
> disregarded. Can you imagine McCain or Clinton accepting his
invitation
> to join the administration only to leave and be lambasted and labled
> part of the past and the real problem. If they don't accept and then
> disagree with his future approach to issues his response will be
that
> they had a chance to join his team and influence his decision making
> process and decided not to. If his policies fail Obama will blame
his
> appointees and destroy their political career. I have to say that
Obama