> shempmcgurk wrote:

[snip]

> > Good point.
> >
> > GM spent $1 billion on the EV1 and there was no market for them.
> >
> Not true. Rent "Who Killed the Electric Car?" on DVD. The county
here
> used EV1s and they have some SmartCars at the moment and they may
be
> testing a Subaru electric in the future. You could only lease an
EV1 and
> they recalled them much to the chagrin of the owners (many who were
famous).

I've seen it three times...and corresponded with the director.

Great film.  The director is making a follow-up film in which he
touts the plug-in hybrid as the best thing.  Indeed, he kinda comes
to that conclusion at the end of "Who killed...".

Look, GM aren't idiots.  If they could have made money selling the
EVI they would be the first ones to do it.

The concept didn't work because -- as we've discussed here umpteen
times -- the battery range was only about, maximum, 100 miles and no
one is going to use a car like that when we all makes trips of more
than 100 miles at least once or twice a month.

[snip]