> I recently was invited to attend a weekend basic training in
> meditation with a close, life-long friend in the Shambhala
> tradition. It was probably the most impressive basic meditation
> instruction I've ever witnessed as the teacher was a 30+ year
> veteran who spoke from his own considerable experience. They
> operate under the basic assumption that intro meditation is the
> most difficult to teach so the Shambhala people only authorize
> their most advanced teachers for the first level.

The same has been true in several Tibetan groups
I have encountered.

And in several martial arts dojos. "Followup"
training on some new technique may be handled by
and monitored by the upper-ranking black belts
in the dojo, but the initial instruction was
always given by the head teacher, someone who
had been practicing it for 20-40 years.

> For a weekend starting with an open friday night lecture with
> breakfast Saturday and Sunday, lunch on Saturday, afternoon tea
> and a reception gourmet feast on graduation Sunday the
> course was only 100 dollars.

I have actually encountered beginning meditation
weekend seminars with similar schedules and similar
amounts of munchies that were offered for free. But
that was partly because these groups had a facility
of their own and didn't have to pay for rental of
a room somewhere. They paid for all the food and
goodies themselves because they got off on doing so.

> Most interesting was seeing the unity experiences people began
> having right away, in that short weekend; young college students,
> college professors, old folks, a blind lady with her guide dog.
> Lots of time to interview privately with the teacher(s) and small
> group discussions as well as along with the whole group.

In other words, the way things should be done.