Since I have heard a number of interviews with people advocating
stipends due to the decreasing jobs market I went on a search for some
of them.  Here's one proposal and the author has done his homework on
the subject:
http://marshallbrain.com/25000.htm

More detailed information on the impact of technology on the workforce:
http://marshallbrain.com/robotic-freedom.htm