Getting rid of everyone displaced by automation would create a process
which would lead to human extinction in the end. Of course we do have
to get our birth control up to an adequate level, but I see no reason
to kill people. It would be better to have people work towards
discovering all the spiritual, intellectual, artistic, and other
knowledge which would make it possible to advance all humans to the
most advanced state of consciousness possible.

Of course, one of the science fiction dreams is to move people into
huge orbital colonies in space, which would solve the population
problem. There are enough metals in the asteroids, a very large number
of cubic kilometers if iron, aluminum, etc. so that would not be a
problem. However, it is so expensive at present to lift mass into
orbit that we couldn't afford to send the first factories into space,
and large numbers of humans. One current cost for sending a human into
orbit I recently read was 100 million dollars. If it were to cost 100
million dollars per person, it would be a bit difficult to transport
most of humanity to orbital colonies in space. But if we could get the
cost of lifting mass to orbit way down, we could do it. I can't
predict. It depends on what new technology we discover in the future.

Jim

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>