On Jun 25, 2005, at 1:53 PM, Rick Archer wrote:

> Amma emphasizes mindfulness too. This always puzzled me because I'm so
> indoctrinated with the "natural tendency of the mind" idea, but in
> light of
> my own experience, it makes sense. If I'm tired, sometimes it's best
> to just
> lean back and let myself doze off, rather than struggling to stay
> alert.
> Meditation is better after a nap. But if I'm not tired, it's best to
> sit up
> straight and be attentive. Otherwise meditation is a muddle and a
> waste of
> time.

In Shamatha we talk about "ascertaining consciousness" which refers to
a continuum of attention. Correct meditation is when you have
predominantly moments of ascertaining consciousness as compared to
moments non-ascertaining consciousness. Non-ascertainment is likened to
trying to view a picture by a flickering candle--in the flickering
light, you can't quite make it out. It's a lot like falling asleep
reading something in dim lighting.