> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, ruthsimplicity <no_reply@>
> wrote:
> <snip>
> > Oh yes, you have to take this on faith.  They say
> > you do not have to believe anything to practice TM,
> > but I say why would you practice TM unless you
> > believed in it?
>
> Because you find it has beneficial effects in
> your life???
>
> What a strange question.

Not to me.  The question is causality and the parameters of how you
are measuring the benifits.  I'll give you an example.  Today I feel a
bit extra energetic and able to take on tasks that I had been putting
off.  If I had meditated this morning I would have ascribed this
feeling today to that.  But since I did a little extra exercise
yesterday and went to bed a bit earlier than usual, I give that the
credit.  The truth is that I really don't know the cause, I'm just
guessing.  So these are the variables that I pay attention to as a non
meditator, and if I feel extra clear those variables get the credit.
Now I have gone back and forth with these variables many many times,
unlike a regular meditator who wont stop for weeks and then star again
repeatedly as a test. But the truth is that I still don't understand
all the variables in how I feel each day.

I know that once you get used to meditating you miss it and feel
better when you do it.  But if you stop for a while then you stop
feeling those ups and downs.  That is the problem I have with me being
a regular meditator.  I feel the need for "rest" in the afternoon that
I never feel if have stopped meditating for a while.

So I still think it comes down to the belief that TM is causing how
you feel on any certain day, rather than the new vitamin or exercise
or health food, or the moon phase, or whatever is your personal
causative belief agent in your life.