<curtisdeltabl...@...> wrote:

> As I go though the list of how I communicate with people here
> I can pretty much group them that way.  Those who have taken
> a personal shot in varying degrees of vitriol, and those who
> have not.

What I have noticed, Curtis (and making this a
"generic" rap, not about anyone in particular), is
that the personal shots tend to happen immediately
after you have presented an idea that causes the
"personal shotters" some cognitive dissonance
because it conflicts with and challenges an idea
that they hold to be true.

I think I know you well enough to know that most of
the time when you present such ideas, to you they
are Just Ideas. They're an interesting new way of
approaching a subject and looking at it.

But it's as if a few people here react to them as if
the idea itself *caused them pain*. And in a sense it
did. Cognitive dissonance -- encountering an idea
that, if true, renders one of your own ideas false
or at the very least not as true -- is perceived by
some AS pain.

I think the issue is that we don't perceive these
ideas that way. To us they're Just Ideas. And after
all this time thinking about and analyzing our exper-
iences with meditation and various follies along the
spiritual path or just life path, the "out of the box"
ideas are Just Another Way Of Looking At Things, no
biggie.

When we think about one of these ideas -- say the
implicit wrongness of the caste system, or the unden-
iable sexism of a tradition that wouldn't even allow
women to be near it -- we DON'T tend to feel pain. No
cognitive dissonance arises at all because we are years
or decades away from justifying the caste system just
because Maharishi did, or ignoring the sexism of the
Shankaracharya tradition because we still identify
with it and consider ourselves part of it.

But others don't have that distance on things, and when
they encounter ideas that to us are Just Ideas, they
perceive them as ATTACKS, because what they feel inside
when they hear these ideas is pain. We didn't cause the
pain; all we did is present an idea. But to them the
idea ITSELF causes pain, because it causes cognitive
dissonance. So in their mindes we are very definitely
the "cause" of their pain, because we said the horrible,
offensive, unforgivable thing that they consider heresy.

If our idea that the caste system is wrong has merit,
then Maharishi's defense of it his entire life may have
less merit, or be actually w...w...w...wrong.

If our idea that Guru Dev and other teachers within the
Shankaracharya tradition just might have been being less
than honest about their desire for the liberation of
their fellow man by restricting their teachings to...uh...
their fellow MAN, with "no women allowed," then maybe
they weren't the perfect saints they've been portrayed
to be.

I suspect that contemplating either of these ideas doesn't
raise a single hair on your neck or cause you the least
amount of pain. They certainly don't cause me any dis-
comfort in the least.

But these same ideas cause some people so MUCH pain that
their first impulse -- an impulse that they seemingly
cannot control -- is to lash out and aim a well-placed
personal shot across your bow.

On the whole, I think you've dealt with such cheap shots
better than I have, and with consistent grace and humor.
A great deal more grace and humor than the ones *taking*
the cheap shots have, that's fer damned sure.