On Dec 15, 2008, at 1:28 PM, ruthsimplicity wrote:

An anesthesiologist told him of the sleep apnea, yes?  (If you don't
breathe for 10 seconds when sleeping, that is apnea.) I haven't read
much of what coldblueice has written, so I don't know all of what he
has described.  In any event, physical causes for his experiences
cannot be ruled out, including the witnessing experiences.  Sleep
apnea effects brain waves as well as having other physical effects, so
he shouldn't be a TM research subject. If I were him, I would have a
sleep study.

He already has.

As I said before, you would (of course) have to rule out any incidence of obstructive or central sleep apnea (or other possible etiologies) before making any further observations and conclusion. They'd have to clear certain Somnological criteria. This is especially the case when people are self-selecting in a "anyone who witnesses during sleep, please contact us" -type fashion.

The experiential difference between yoganidra--yogic sleep--and the "I'm almost awake, I'm almost asleep" limbo quality of sleep in sleep apnea is easy to differentiate. In one it's like torture, in the other you rest in the bliss-sheath and abide over a calm void. In one you wake up groggy or with a headache, in the other you're more energized than the deepest of "regular" sleep.

There are other anecdotal reports of TM "night technique" practitioners who also experienced the results of that practice as a "sleep disturbance".

I have been trying to track down some TM research subjects.  If anyone
knows of any, email me at ruthsimplic...@yahoo.com.  I did talk to one
person who was asked a bunch of questions and then rejected as a
subject.  Still trying to pin that one down. Anyone know an email for
coldblueice?

I have no evil plan, I am just searching for facts.

Keep in mind, it appears a lot of the people snagged for TM "research" are Purusha, MD and or hard-core TM/TMSP TB's. They will likely perceive ANYONE outside the TMO questioning them as suspect or tainted. Some of the most interesting TM studies were done on people who were outside the mainstream TB practitioners (e.g. people in Seattle who went to a TM center there).

Good luck!