--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, ruthsimplicity <no_re...@...> wrote:

> You are assuming a conclusion that
> simply can't be assumed.   We have no idea as to whether TM
> successfully produces enlightenment or "unity consciousness."  The
> TMO does not say that out of X number of meditators, Y have reached
> GC, or UC.

More important, the TMO cannot produce *repre-
sentatives* of CC, GC, or UC. The most they
can say is that a few people show *some* of
the things that our teacher claimed were
"symptoms" of these states. And even then, not
all of the "symptoms," and not regularly.

That really IS what David OJ's statement says.

> Plus, even more importantly, we don't even know if higher states of
> consciousness are in fact higher or important or just different.
>
> After all these years we know next to nothing. The 60s, the 70s, the
> 80s, the 90s, and soon the 00's will pass.  Meditators get old,
> meditators die, still thinking that they are hammering a nail when
> there is no indication that they have either a hammer or nail.

Exactly.

What we are seeing is "argumentation backwards
from the conclusion." Many of the folks here who
argue the benefits of TM *assume* those benefits
as a "given," and then base all of their subse-
quent arguments on that assumption.

They assume that TM is a hammer because they were
*told* that it was. Rather than admit that they
just believed was fact this when it was told to
them, they assume that it's a hammer *as if it
were a fact*.

Vaj goes overboard in his attempts to prove that
TM isn't a hammer (doesn't produce enlightenment
as it has been described throughout history), and
that puts some people off, including me sometimes.
But I am at least willing to admit that my former
belief in TM as a method for realizing permanent
enlightenment was based on *what I was told*, not
anything I ever experienced personally or saw
around me in my days with the TMO. I was stupid,
and just believed what I had been told.

When I experienced other perspectives on the
enlightenment process, and other, more rigorous
definitions of what "enlightenment" might be (and
other, more interesting subjective experiences of
the states in question), I stopped believing in
the TM model, and admitted to myself and to others
that the main reason I believed the TMO's spiel at
the time was that it was really the only one I'd
ever heard. For many people on this forum, it
still is because they react to any others by
sticking their fingers in their ears and saying,
"I can't HEAR you...I can't HEAR you."

I'd have more respect for the TM apologists here
if they 1) could admit the degree of *assumption*
they have about TM and where those assumptions came
from (from believing what they were told), and 2)
if they were more open to open intellectual inquiry
into other spiritual disciplines and *their* desc-
riptions of enlightenment and what the "definitions"
of it might be.

The bottom line, however, is that as far as I can
tell not a single TM apologist on this forum can
point to a single human being on the planet and
declare, "This person is fully enlightened, and they
got that way by doing TM and only TM." The *TMO*
itself cannot do this.

And yet they keep repeating over and over and over
and over the tired old claim that TM not only
produces enlightenment, but that it's the fastest
and most effective way to produce it.

One would think that after a few decades of saying
this shit that one or two of them would have been
able to actually *hear* the words as they came
out of their mouths, and wonder why they were still
saying them.