"I also acknowledge that I have an aspect of my mind that is an
unchanging witness of my personality.  It is an artifact of
consciousness and a part of being human if you choose to spend enough
time to notice it.  I'll even acknowledge that meditating helps you
notice this aspect of your mind more clearly."

**

This quote (above), is what I'm interested in.  The assertion that
the "unchanging witness" is an "aspect of the mind" and "an artifact
of consciousness", however, is still unsettled for me.  I can
understand why you'd assert that, but I don't understand how you
could support the assertion.

And I'm not saying that you're wrong in the assertion, only that I
don't know myself.  At some point, it became clear that awareness
always is (and was), but somehow I hadn't noticed it "before".
Meditation and other tools apparently assisted the discovery of it.
Awareness persisted in sleep and during episodes of unconsciousness
resulting from injury or illness.  However, since at no time, did the
body fall away, there's no telling whether awareness persists or not
when the body dies.  (But it "feels" like it does.)

It seems clear that the Eastern traditions and lineages have found
the apparent persistence of awareness to have value, and have
constructed some elaborate and some convincing arguments to support
both the belief in its value and to stimulate individuals to gain
that experience in their own lives.  Whether or not those traditions
have it right, or are merely touting an experience that feels good,
or feels right, but doesn't have any larger, transpersonal value is
still in question.

For myself, I've taken the position that there's enough of value to
continue to experiment with consciousness to get a clearer sense of
what it all means.  Eastern traditions (including Maharishi's),
mystical philosophies, and the many insightful posts on FFL have been
excellent adjuncts to that continued exploration.

Thanks, Curtis.

Marek

**

<curtisdeltabl...@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <no_reply@> wrote:
>  "Identity is non-physical"
> > with the intent to reach a deeper clarity about it?  Or do you
think
> > I'm just slinging Advaita shit that can safely be dismissed? Does
ya
> > got twelve in the juryroom still?
>
> My identity is not physical.  It is tied to the physical so that
when
> the physical becomes worm food I have a suspicion that I'm not going
> to be able to remember the Brazilian Samba chords I learned on my
> guitar this morning. I can't even maintain consciousness when a
doctor
> pumps a white liquid into my veins for a little fireside chat with
the
> interior of my colon.
>
> I also acknowledge that I have an aspect of my mind that is an
> unchanging witness of my personality.  It is an artifact of
> consciousness and a part of being human if you choose to spend
enough
> time to notice it.  I'll even acknowledge that meditating helps you
> notice this aspect of your mind more clearly.
>
> But making a case for it being the transpersonal basis for all
> creation is just imposing a religious assertion on top of it.  It is
> making a bigger deal about it than I think it deserves.  But I could
> be wrong.  But so far all the magical stuff claimed about this state
> of mind has not shown up.  Has it?  Maharishi was a charismatic
> interesting guy and all but he didn't show up as having special
powers
> to me, beyond what an eccentric relentless self promoter like Donald
> Trump exhibits.  The Donald sleeps as little as Maharishi did too!

> perception. >
> > >
> > > You know this sounds like a made-up problem to solve.  I never
met
> > anyone who was lost in or identified with the objects of
perception.
> > Someone would have an unimaginable pathological lack of self
awareness
> > for this to be a problem.
> > >
> > > I mean this seriously because it is one of the fundamental
> > > presuppositions of Maharishi's teaching.  Can anyone here
remember
> > > when this was a problem in your life before TM?  I honestly
can't.

> > Curtis,
> >
> > This is the crux issue:  what is the nature of Identity?
> >
> > I think your suspicions are well founded only if you ignore that
the
> > mind itself is an object of consciousness.  Every thought-feeling
(the
> > mind) is a tar baby that allures Identity to become its soul.
Moment