> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "yifuxero" <yifuxero@> wrote:
> >
> > --In other words, mind is a secondary witness to Witnessing;
> > a fact even the Neo-Advaitins can't deny. (some mind-entity -
> > illusory or not - is making various claims).  What is the value
> > of having those experiences.?
>
> That is the question that no one asks, because
> they have already been presented with (and bought
> hook, line, and sinker) the dogma that achieving
> this witnessing state is the highest point of
> human evolution, something that "should" be
> achieved.
>
> If they had NOT been presented with that view,
> it would have no value to them at all.
>
> And it's not even that hard to achieve. Based on
> reports of people who practiced techniques of
> lucid dreaming ( "waking up in your dreams," to
> the point of being able to control them ), after
> only a few months pretty much everyone I was
> working with reported being able to witness not
> only their dreams, but deep sleep as well.
>
> These were people who have never meditated in
> their lives, and they could "witness" by performing
> a few simple exercises before sleep, and during
> it. To them, being able to "witness" their dreams
> or deep sleep is small potatoes, nothing to get
> excited about or value in itself. The point of
> lucid dreaming is to be able to fully control
> your dreams, and manifest anything you want in
> them, visit anyone you want to visit, stuff like
> that.
>
> They laughed with me when I told them that some
> people think that developing the "witness" thing
> was a big deal.

Thinking back to recent discussions about
dreaming here, and the obvious fact that no
one involved in that discussion had ever
practiced lucid dreaming, I realize that I
should explain a little more about it.

It is non-meditative in nature, and involves
simple mental and physical practices with the
goal of awakening in one's dreams and learn-
ing to control them. There is no goal of
"enlightenment" or anything like that in mind.

That said, the thing that I have heard people
on this forum describe as "witnessing" of dreams
and/or deep sleep is viewed in lucid dreaming
circles as a preliminary step. It can be easily
achieved by almost everyone, within a month or
two of doing their exercises.

But *in their view* (which I am not trying to
elevate or glorify or defend, merely to explain),
mere passive witnessing of dreams is *not the
point*. In their view, the *next step* after
developing this witnessing aspect of dreaming
is *waking up in the dream*, being able to
take an active (as opposed to passive witness)
role in them, and direct them.

Sample exercises that lucid dreamers practice
while learning how to do this all tend to
involve *intention*. Once the "witness" thing
is a given, you decide before sleeping to *do*
something to alter the course of the dream.
You might try to find your hands (many will
recognize this from Castaneda), or travel to
a particular place, or remember to say a
certain phrase. If you can do that, it has
a kind of "snap" effect, and snap! you are
awake in the dream. At that point you can go
anywhere and do anything you want.

Once one has gotten to this point, other exer-
cises can be done, and in a group. For example,
the group of students can agree to "meet" in
a predetermined place in the dream. Once there,
they can experiment with telling each other
things or doing things that they can then
check on with the other students in the waking
state, to see if the other person experienced
the same thing you did when "talking" to them
or interacting with them in the dream.

It's a real trip, lemme tell you. I studied
lucid dreaming with Rama, and then on my own
from books, and then later in a group of people
who were interested in the phenomenon, and were
working with a Yaqui teacher in Santa Fe to
master it. It was way fun, and I got fairly
good at it.

But, to be honest, after a few months it lost
its charm and I didn't continue it. Now it's
like I have the "option" to wake up in my
dreams if I want, but most of the time I don't,
and just let what happens happen.

I'm bringing it up just to make the point that
"witnessing" does not mean the same thing or
have the same value to all spiritual seekers.
In the TMO, it is often viewed as a goal, or
a "symptom" of enlightenment. Among this group
of lucid dreamers I worked with, it was clearly
viewed as a preliminary step, one that was a
stepping stone to more interesting things.

It's all POV. Sometimes it's good to consider
the possibility that the POV you've been taught
is "highest" may not be.