On Jan 27, 2009, at 11:01 PM, off_world_beings wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <no_re...@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, off_world_beings <no_reply@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <no_reply@> wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, off_world_beings <no_reply@>

> > birth

> > > Sorry Off, but I think that's a bit like claiming, for instance,
> > > that 'purpose' is equivalent to 'poor pose'>
> >
> > You need to check your sanskrit.
> > 'Pu' is 'purifying'; cleansing.
> > 'Ja' is 'born' or 'beginning'.
> >
> > OffWorld
> >

> ROTFLMFFLOFFOLLOWMAOi!  ;D

Cardemeister you just tie yourself in knots with your misunderstanding of Sanskrit and Indo-European. You are all still working with outdated 19th century etymology. What a joke !

 You and Vaj are completely boxed in and cannot get around it.

*pu- "clean"

VMPSIE
  pu:-            "to clean"                         Sanskrit
  pu:rus          "pure"                             Latin
  pu:ta           "cleaned"                          Sanskrit
  pu:ti           "cleaning"                         Sanskrit
  pûtih           "white"                            Malay
  putih           "white"                            Javanese
  futsi, futchi   "white"                            Madagascar
  maputi          "white"                            Tagalog
  ma-pute         "white"                            Buginese

UEL 23, 24, 25:
*pewH- "clean, purify" Proto- IndoEuropean
    + nominalising *-eno-
  *pewH-eno-                                         Proto-IndoEuopean
  pávana (n.)     "sieve"                            Sanskrit
         (n., m.) "cleaning (by threshing)"          Sanskrit
  pavana           id.                               Pali
  pona: (m.)      "perforated iron ladle for
                   skimming or straining"            Hindi

loaned into

  *pe(w)s^enV                                        Proto-Permian
  puz^, púz^      "sieve"                            Votyak
  puz^ni_         "sift"                             Votyak
  poz^            "sieve"                            Zyryan
  po,z^           "sieve"                            Zyryan (SE-dial.)
puz^ "sieve" Zyryan (East Permian)
  poz^n-al-       "sift"                             Zyryan

  o-grade + causative suffix *-eye/o-
*owH-eye/o- Proto- IndoEuropean
  *fauja                                             Proto-Germanic
  fewen (fouwen)  "sift (cereal), clean"             Old High German
vöuwen id. Middle High German fe.ibm, veben "sift" German dial. (Tyrol.) fäen "sift finely (cereal), winnow" German dial. (Styrian)
  payávati        "cleans, purifies"                 Sanskrit

loaned into

*pows^e- Early Proto- Finnic
    + causative suffix *-ta-
  *pows^ta >
  *pos^ta                                            Proto-Finnic
  pohta
  (inf. pohtoa)   "winnow"                           Finnish

  pohti-          "consider"                         Finnish
  puohtua (inf.)  "winnow"                           Carelian
  pohtta  (inf.)   id.                               Vepsian
  pohta:  (inf.)   id.                               Votic
    ma-inf.
  pohetama,
  puhetama         id.                               Estonian dial.

  *pu-ne-H-,
*pu-n-H- (v.) Proto- IndoEuropean
  *pu-ne-H-ti >
  punáti          "he cleans, winnows"               Sanskrit
  *pu-n-H-mes >
  puni:máh.       "we clean, winnow"                 Sanskrit
  *pu-n-H-enti >
  punánti         "they clean, winnow"               Sanskrit
  puna:ti         "cleans, sifts"                    Pa:li
  pun.aï          "cleans, winnows"                  Pra:krit

loaned into

*pons^e- BalticFinnic- Mordvin
    + Mordvin causative suffix -vt(o)- (Ersa)
  ponz^avto-      "winnow (cereal)"                  Mordvin (Ersa)
    + Mordvin causative suffix -ft(&^)- (Moks^a)
  pon´dz^aft&^-   "winnow (cereal)"                  Mordvin (Moks^a)

  zero-grade + participal *-to-
*puH-to-s Proto- IndoEuropean
  pu:tá-h.        "cleaned, purified"                Sanskrit

loaned into

  *pus^tas                                           Proto-Finnic
    common Baltic Finnic, eg.
  puhdas,
  puhtaan (gen.)  "clean, pure"                      Finnish
  puhas,
  puhta   (gen.)   id.                               Estonian

HSED 2008:
  *puk-           "winnow"
  *fVk-           "winnow, peel (corn)"              Berber
  fukk-&t-         id.                               Ahaggar
  *puk-           "winnow"                           West Chadic
  puk              id.                               Tangale

To say that the word `puja' means `worship' is like saying:

"Church" means "Christianity"
"Avatar" means "a person's cartoon version on the internet.
or
"Yogi" means "old bearded guy with beads around his neck".

It is childish, absurd, lacking in accuracy, unintelligent, and misinformed.

OffWorld

It's interesting because if I'm reading you right, you believe the TM puja is like a cleansing that makes you born again into a new beginning. That would mean then that people who go through the TM Hindu puja would be "born again Hindus", much like a Christian baptism! For comfort's sake, it would probably be best not to call them 'born again Hindus', but instead "Born Again TMers", so as not to scare away anyone. You should pass this onto the TMO and they could have the rajas do the puja and it would be just like the Catholic church (without the purple, of course).