--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, I am the eternal <l.shad...@...>
wrote:

> "I will say, then, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of
bringing
> about in any way the social and political equality of the white and
black
> races; that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or
> jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to
intermarry
> with white people ; and I will say, in addition to this, that there is a
> physical difference between the white and black races which I
believe will
> forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and
> political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do
> remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior,
and I
> as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position
> assigned to the white race."

Without Googling, I am guessing that that is Abraham Lincoln -- he
said somethings along those lines. As did Jefferson I believe.

Which is relevant to a point I was thinking about earlier this
evening: tha much of our views are shaped by our times and
contemporaries.  Its hard to transcend those constraints. And those
that are too out in front of the curve are totally marginalized and
become the abhorred in the contemporary society.

I am sure we all will be judged as humongous heathen barbarians by our
ancestors and society at large a hundred years from now. Hard to say
what the crimes will be -- though I can speculate through the bias of
my contemporary eyes: eating animals, massive production of carbon,
inefficient energy use and its resulting environmental disasters, not
feeding and educating the poor throughout the world, lack of good
nutrition, huge sexual issues and uptightness -- particualry for
unions outside monogomous hetro sex, cruelty to animals, extreme
stinginess and shortsightedness in spending for education, not
ingesting enough alkoloids, religious wars, ...