--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, grate.swan <no_re...@...> wrote:

> If someone can push it out -- and mesmerize us a bit, whether its our
> gender of choice, teachers or politicians (actors and great
> performances is another phenomenon that comes to mind -- as well as
> musicians -- I mean the Beatles had some good music -- but good enough
> for all that hoopla -- was there something else there?) -- is there
> some antidote we can do to make us less suceptible to such
> "manipulation"?

You had a lot of good stuff in your post.  One thing I do to help me
resist manipulation is to have a personal rule that I do not make
important decisions without walking away first and getting some space
away from whoever is trying to sell or convince me of something. If
someone is trying to get me to do something, I tell them I have this
rule.  It helps me stick to it.

Another thing is to try to play devil's advocate with yourself.  If
you can clearly articulate the opposite position it will help with
your critical thinking.

And don't sleep with him on the first date. :)