#207851

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "guyfawkes91" <guyfawke...@...>
wrote:

> > JohnR says:
> > All I am saying is that the TMO is reviving this past world
> > empire in the guise of the Global Country,
>
> There never was a world empire aeons ago. There's no archeological
> evidence for it. It's a fairy tale.
>
> > which is not based on subjugation,
> > but for the development of world consciousness.
>
> which is flat out contradicted by this statement
>
> > During the vedic times, any rajahs who doubted are considered
> > enemies of the emperor and are subjugated.
>
> Interesting bit of cognitive dissonance going on there. The
> global country is not based on subjugation and anyone who
> disagrees will be subjugated. Mmmm, the mental contortions
> required to handled that contradiction are beyond most people's
> abilities.

Good catch, Guy. That cognitive dissonance -- the
seemingly absolute inability to detect two warring
and incompatible concepts in the things that one says
and believes -- is part of my fascination with this
latest stuff from John.

The other source of fascination, and what I'm trying
to get at in my other post on this subject and the
questions I asked of him, is to see if he is capable
of perceiving WHY he believes these things. That's a
more fascinating topic to me, because I see an
*inability* to do this in him and in many people
like him.

They state fantastic things -- things that 99.9% of
the human beings on this planet would consider nut-
baggery -- as if they were established fact. And
they clearly believe *that* they are established
fact. I am certain that John is being completely
sincere in stating that this "ideal society" he is
talking about in the future once existed in full
flower here on Earth.

But WHY does he believe this?

Clearly, there is no historical record to support the
claim. Just as clearly, all historical evidence refutes
it entirely and suggests the opposite. But yet he
believes it to the core of his being. WHY?

That, to me, is the Larger Question in issues like this.
What IS it about belief that is inspired (IMO) by
Believing What You Were Told By Someone You Consider
Infallible that "trumps" history, "trumps" objective
reality, and "trumps" even common sense? It's truly a
puzzle to me.

And in others here, WHY do they believe the things they
so clearly believe? WHY does one person believe that
their supposed enlightenment experiences make their
actions perfectly in accord with the laws of nature,
while calling others "dummies" for not taking what he
says as Truth? WHY does another clearly believe that
she has no Free Will, and yet chide others for abusing
theirs? WHY does someone who has never tried another
technique of meditation, and who never will because they
fear being labeled as Off The Program or being considered
"disloyal" to TM, believe to their soul that TM is the
"best" such technique? WHY do people who *agree* that
the TMO is one of the worst, most inefficient and least
compassionate organizations they have ever encountered
somehow still believe that *it* could create world peace,
when it cannot even keep one of its own from being
murdered in the *heart* of the Maharishi Effect Woo
Woo Rays Generator?

It's an enduring koan to me, one that keeps me here and
keeps me posting. What IS it about the magical phrase
"Maharishisez" (which is my answer to all the WHYs above)
that "trumps" common sense, that "trumps" logic, that
"trumps" even the fear of being laughed at?

The answer is nothing less than the enduring appeal of
religion. Perhaps, in a world of constant uncertainty,
some people are made so uneasy by that uncertainty that
they will sacrifice common sense, sacrifice logic, and
even sacrifice the fear of being laughed at in exchange
for a little certainty.

So they glom onto someone who tells them things in a tone
of voice that implies that he is *certain* about what he
is saying. They "take in" that tone of voice, and they
assimilate it, just as that faux certainty assimilates
them. And then they go forth as sure and certain as Borg,
and parrot it to the world, and try to assimilate them.

The one thing you can say almost without fear of contra-
diction is that the missionaries and prosyletutes of this
world actually *believe* the things that they say. They
are in most cases *certain* that these things are true.

But the other thing I think you can say about them almost
without fear of contradiction is that they have never
asked themselves WHY they believe the things that they
say. To do so would gnaw away at that sense of certainty
that they strove so hard to achieve.