--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, enlightened_dawn11
<no_re...@...> wrote:

> great find-- i recognized awhile ago while shooting video that
> it is very hard to duplicate all of the dolly effects used in
> professional cinematography. these guys came up with a cool
> solution.

Just as a couple of hints, Dawn, For dollies,
a borrowed supermarket shopping cart works fine.
And if you're serious about wanting to create
non-shaky video, you can "grow your own"
Steadicam for under $20.

All it takes is a harness to attach the thing to
your body (an old kid's backpack will do, worn
backwards), a ball joint that allows free movement
to anything attached to it in all directions
(which I found at an electronics/hardware junk
store for $5), and then solder/weld two pieces
of metal to opposite ends of the ball joint. On
one end, you weld an old tripod adapter to hold
the camera. On the other, you place enough weight
to exactly equal the weight of the camera.

Voila. Instant Steadicam. As you move around, the
ball joint allows the balancing weight to keep
the camera in a steady, upright position, without
"camera shake."

Or, since you're a gal and possibly don't have
access to tools and all that brilliant (and humble)
Do It Yourself knowledge that guys are born with :-),
you can just buy one of these things pre-made from
a catalog. Steadicams rock, especially when you
figure out how simple the mechanisms are that make
it work (Duh...gravity and inertia), and wonder at
how long it took for someone to figure it out and
turn it into an Oscar-winning invention.