--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk" <shempmcg...@...>
wrote:
<snip>
> I'm not a biologist or geneticist but I think that
> 10,000 years is more than enough time for a species
> to select genetic traits.  So I think you strengthen
> my point by reminding us that it's "only" been
> 10,000 years that dairy has been a part of the human
> diet.

In fact, in populations that continued to drink milk
beyond weaning age, there *has* been genetic
adaptation, at least with regard to lactose intolerance.
But dairy has not been part of the human diet universally
by any means since 10,000 years ago, so the gene that
turns off the ability to digest lactose after weaning
persists, in widely varying percentages among groups
with common ancestry (Ashkenazi Jews and others of
Northern European ancestry, for example, have a very
low percentage of lactose intolerance, whereas African
Americans have a very high percentage).