--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <lengli...@...> wrote:

> > Do you feel that it is your true nature or real self?  Why?
>
> If silence is more consistent than non-silence, how could you NOT
identify it> as being "more real" than non-silence?

Perhaps that kind of consistency is not the only measure.

My sense of my self includes the silent part of my mind, but it is not
the only consistent part of my internal world.  I have other personal
tendencies that have been a part of me as long as I have known myself.
 Just because a part of my mind can be awake during sleep doesn't mean
that is my identity.  In fact it retains nothing of what I value about
myself so it is definitely not the best aspect of who I am.

Most meditators have adapted Maharishi's interpretation of what
constitutes the self.  I am not arguing that you should stop if you
enjoy that POV.  But I don't share it.  I interpret my experiences
differently.  This identification is not a set thing, it is shaped by
pre-suppositional beliefs.