--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltabl...@...>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@> wrote:
>
> > > Do you feel that it is your true nature or real self?  Why?
> >
> > If silence is more consistent than non-silence, how could you NOT
> identify it> as being "more real" than non-silence?
>
> Perhaps that kind of consistency is not the only measure.
>
> My sense of my self includes the silent part of my mind, but it is not
> the only consistent part of my internal world.  I have other personal
> tendencies that have been a part of me as long as I have known myself.
>  Just because a part of my mind can be awake during sleep doesn't mean
> that is my identity.  In fact it retains nothing of what I value about
> myself so it is definitely not the best aspect of who I am.
>
> Most meditators have adapted Maharishi's interpretation of what
> constitutes the self.  I am not arguing that you should stop if you
> enjoy that POV.  But I don't share it.  I interpret my experiences
> differently.  This identification is not a set thing, it is shaped by
> pre-suppositional beliefs.

There's something you're missing here: physiological correlates of the whole
thing.

While its true that interpretation plays a part in how you describe something,
fact is that champion athletes are more likely to show physiological signs of
enlightenment AND describe their inner self in CC-like terms than non-champion
athletes.

L.