If you've listened to the commentaries they make the show up as they go
along.  There was no grand scheme.   And I applaud them for not just
driving the series into the ground whereupon the "9th season" it might
have been canceled.  There have been some "bottle episodes" however.
The one the pissed the fans off the most was the boxing episode.  They
couldn't figure  what it had to do with anything.  We suspect the same
idiocy that put wrestling on the Sci-Fi Network (sorry wrong demographic
for that Ms. CEO).  After the series is over I may not have a reason to
keep Sci-Fi in my lineup.  I'll have to see if Comcast keeps it in the
package or not.  I was supposed to get it in HD on a less costly package
but they put it in the Extended Basic "digital preferred" tier because
apparently in some parts of the Bay Area Sci-Fi is part of Extended
Basic but not here.  Apparently the woman who heads up the Sci-Fi
network doesn't understand science fiction and keeps wanting to put
stuff there (like a lot of fantasy) the network fans don't like.