--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Dick Mays <dickm...@...> wrote:

> From: Bob Roth <bobr...@...>
> To: Dick Mays <dickm...@...>
> Subject: Re: [Fairfield_Community_Kiosk] Ringo will appear at the
concert
> Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 16:16:25 -0500
>
> Ringo confirmed, but we do not know if they will collaborate...
> but he is coming...

Just as a question, does anyone else see the
fascination with this concert as a little sad?

Don't get me wrong -- I actually applaud David
Lynch's idealism and his desire to teach a million
kids to meditate. And I think that the world would
be a better place if a million of them learned a
simple, basic technique like TM, and then were
kept as far away as humanly possible from the TMO,
its dogma, and its cultish environment.

But on another level, isn't the fascination and
excitement we see about this concert a bit of
"Forward, into the past?" (To quote the Firesign
Theatre.)

I mean, this is a 63-year-old man promoting a
concert that features an almost 67-year-old
singer and an almost 69-year-old drummer. And
the people getting all excited about it are in
the same age range.

It's almost as if they were "looking backwards"
to the "glory days" of the TM movement, and
hoping that by "reviving" those glory days, and
using the *same* performers to do it, they can
revive their *own* glory.

I'm not convinced that's going to happen. The
first "Beatles wave" happened at an opportune
moment in American history. The "wave" got carried
along by the *other* waves of the Hippie revolution
and the anti-war revolution, both of them based to
some extent on *rejecting* the status quo and the
staid and boring future laid out for young people
by their elders. It also happened at a time when
TM cost $35 for students and $75 for adults.

Now it costs $2000 for everyone, unless David Lynch
pays for it, and then it costs $600. So I'm thinkin'
that -- as much as I'd like to see a lot of young
people learning to meditate -- a "wave" is just not
gonna happen as a result of this concert.

As for the *audience* for this concert, I have to
be equally cynical in thinking there aren't going
to be a lot of young people there. Instead, it's
going to be a bunch of old folks reliving the glory
days of their youths by watching people as old as
they are dance around up on stage. That's cool and
all, but if I were into that I'd be trying to score
tickets to the upcoming Grateful Dead tour, not a
concert featuring two of the Fab Four.

Anyway...these were just a few thoughts about this
concert. I really do wish them well. I hope it's a
great concert, that all attending or performing have
a great time, and that they raise a lot of money that
will be spent teaching kids to meditate.

But recapturing the "glory days" of the TM movement,
or even the glory days of its dying-faster-than-they-
are-multiplying TM practitioners? I don't see that
happening.

<mailto:fairfield_community_ki...@yahoogroups.com>fairfield_community_ki...@yahoogroups.com