<shempmcgurk@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>

> > > http://tinyurl.com/a9svlp
> > >
> > > "Soros said the turbulence is actually more severe
> > > than during the Great Depression, comparing the
> > > current situation to the demise of the Soviet Union."
> >
> > You need a quote from Obama and at least one other
> > person to make it "Obama and others."
>
> No, Judy, the reference to Obama was to "doom and
> gloom"; it was to "the others" that I was ascribing
> the claim to "this is going to be worse than the
> Great Depression."
>
> But Barky did say it was the worst since the Great
> Depression, which is pretty close:

Not that close. "Worst since" means only that none
of the recessions since the Great Depression has
been as bad as this one.

> http://tinyurl.com/crz9b7
>
> As for one "other" of note who said it is worse:
> Paul Volcker:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ap3t45

Actually he said the deterioration in the economy
*may be* taking place faster than it did in the Great
Depression:

"'I don't remember any time, maybe even in the Great
Depression, when things went down quite so fast, quite
so uniformly around the world,' Mr Volcker told a
luncheon of economists and investors at Columbia
University."

And the comments of Bernanke you cited, BTW, weren't
all that hopeful, as AP noted:

"But he said there were significant risks to that
forecast and any economic turnaround would hinge on
the success of the Fed and the Obama administration
in getting credit and financial markets to operate
more normally again.

"'Only if that is the case, in my view there is a
reasonable prospect that the current recession will
end in 2009 and that 2010 will be a year of recovery,'
Bernanke said."

As WSJ said, "But that's a mighty 'if.'"