> > > To YOU it "rings true," John.
> > >
> > > To ME -- and to millions of other people who
> > > can tell the difference between fairy tales
> > > and reality, the sound of bells we hear is
> > > associated with "ding-a-lings," not Truth. :-)

> > > you have essentially presented anyone who does
> > > not believe the fairy tales you believe as
> > > not only ignorant of the "facts," but rakshasas.
> > >
> > > That's some compassion and humility and lack of
> > > ego you've got going for you, John.  :-)
> >
> > Clearly less compassionate and humble than calling
> > believers ding-a-lings...
> >
> > <snicker>
>

> Might I present two of John's own "definitions?"
> They are things in parentheses below, presented
> as equivalent to the words that precede them:
>
> > The devas (believers) and the rakshasas (nonbelievers)
> > were involved in the churning to obtain the amrita, the
> > nectar of immortality. In the end, the amrita that was
> > produced was awarded to the devas and not the rakshasas.
>
> Followed up by the following, referring to one
> of my quotes as an example of the rakshasa/
> nonbeliever group:
>
> > This is a good example of the never ending conflict by
> > the powers discussed above.
>
> Rakshasa: A goblin, demon, evil spirit; a demonic
> personality.
>
> Ding-a-ling: An eccentric or crazy person.
>
> I would say that I let John off easy by calling
> him a ding-a-ling. I'd go so far as to suggest
> that my choice of term was compassion incarnate
> compared to his.  :-)

Yeah, but the point is that you're no more willing
to accept that both beliefs are equally valid than
he is.

And in any case, he didn't define rakshasa as a
"goblin, demon," etc. He defined a rakshasa simply
as an unbeliever.

>From the story he told, it appears that the
unbelievers became demonic only after they got so
angry at the believers--for having snagged the
amrita they had worked together to obtain for
everybody--that they attacked them.

Seems to me both sides have something of a beef,
and neither gets to posture that their side is
more virtuous, intellectually or any other way.