--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson" <nelsonriddle2...@...>
wrote:

>   I was a bit surprised that the person recounting the story is
about> the same color as Mr. Obama and, that he chose not to see it as
an insult.

Black people can make fun of black people in ironic terms of the
racist past of our history.  It IS different when they choose to do
it.  I also believe it is unwise just as I oppose the use of the N
word among black people.  Now I understand the context better.

>   It is your choice to see something as an insult and be uptight
but,> in our case we had a good laugh.

If you were in on the joke I can imagine laughing for lots of reason
including the irony of a black person using past racist terms.  In
your case I probably would have laughed too and felt as though he was
treating me more of a racial insider who would get the joke.

>   People that don't laugh at themselves in these PC times are a
sorry lot.>

It isn't laughing at yourself that we are talking about here unless
you are black.  The term PC has become a backlash term for
oversensitivity.  We all have to choose our own lines here. Athough I
am an advocate of my POV, I am not saying your laughing was
inappropriate.  Repeating it got a rise out of me without any context.

I just finished a great novel by Bebe Campbell, "Your Blues Ain't Like
Mine."  It was one of the most subtly nuanced discussions of race
issues I have ever read, set in Mississippi through the eyes of most
of the players including the "White Trash", entrenched elite and many
layers of the African American community.  She falls just short of Tom
Wolf's ability to animate specific social groups and make their
conflicting POVs come alive. (But then he spent 10 years writing his
masterpiece "A Man in Full")

Anyway I appreciate your dialoging on the issue here.  I live in an
African American dominant community, so I am always finding my own way
on a daily basis with these issues.  I am also often presenting
African American dominate audiences with their own musical history so
I am constantly thinking about how I can best represent my place
without offense.  I recommend your reading a bit about the Minstrel
Era in theater history to understand why any reference to its images
makes someone familiar with its uses want to speak up against it.
OTOH I appreciate the context that you heard it and a chance to
discuss it.

>   You are right that expecting Mr. Obama to fix the worlds problems
> right away is not logical- he is dealing an unprecedented mess.
>   I do wonder however, that, with the people he has appointed for
high> offices, how it will play out with Chicago politics on a
national scale.

We'll have to see.  I'm still glad he is taking a crack at it.  He may
fail miserably.  With the partisan wrangling going on now, with no
reference to what may help the rest of us, I fear that once again
politicians will fight to the death over our graves.