My questions was more in response to RD.

I agree that huge amounts of debt needs to be written off by banks --
and many bubble-buyers will take a hit when selling their homes. (No
one tried to give back their gains when real estate went up, why
should people be paid for bad investments when real estate goes down?)

And foreclosures are a quick means of getting things written down to
appropriate levels. Homeowners lose their equity and banks lose the
rest -- the difference of what they loaned and what they can sell the
house for. Quick, efficient, accurate. Much faster and efficient than
protracted force loan re-negotiations. I am all for the latter if they
are fast and efficient and get home prices down to affordability index
levels. But not if they go half way -- and take 6 months to negotiate.
And if it takes tax payer money to do so. Spend it on education.

And it opens up homes to people who could not afford bubble inflated
homes.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, enlightened_dawn11