I just got around to watching the episode last night.  Friday night is
overloaded and the BSG episode was going to be hard for about anything
to beat.  That BSG episode was my favorite so far.  It was like an art
film with the dialog between Starbuck and the piano player and the story
with Boomer and The Chief.   After that "The Sarah Conner Chronicles"
could have been hard to watch except that they also played a little more
of a creative episode.

But though I too find the Sierra character intriguing I didn't find
episode 3 all that great.  Some of this the "veneer" that Fox is
probably insisting upon for the series which I think distracts.  And I
think Whedon can't decide whether he wants to reinvent a Buffy series as
this is more in that direction than Firefly.  Then it may be Fox that
wants a Buffy like series.  The WB or whaterver channel Buffy was on
(now the CW) had lower budgets and the stories seem more honest.  They
depend on that network more on story than glitz.  Hence, I am a fan of
"Supernatural" which is a show done by X-Files alumni and "The Reaper"
which returns this month which is a Kevin Smith creation.  There is no
"veneer" to get in the way.

Speaking of Hollywood, my other watch last night was "What Just
Happened", a Barry Levinson film with Robert De Niro who plays a
Hollywood producer going through all kinds of hell to get films out.
Bruce Willis and Sean Penn also appear along with a stellar cast.  And
more story than "veneer."  Well worth a watch and now available on DVD
and Blu-Ray.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486674/