> So when Moveon.org proposed no war on terror but treat 9/11 as  a
crime <snip>

Oh, 9/11 was a crime and a calculated act of war all right. It would
simply appear that much of our country just happens to be in massive
denial about who the true criminals and aggressors were.

Similarly, I think it is a great idea for those inclined to fight
for freedom and democracy to go for it. One could argue that they
perhaps would be well advised to begin at home; maybe restoring
civil liberties and honest, democratic national elections would be a
good place to start. Before that, a national news-medium *not*
completely in the pockets of Big Business would probably help stem
the US's apparent rush towards fascism.

On the other hand, the USA does have a massive addiction to foreign
oil; Iraq is a nice juicy source for our addiction; an addict will
say and do *anything* to keep his fix coming, and say and do
*anything* to avoid cleaning up his act. This is probably the best
model I have found yet to "explain" what is going on "out there"...
but again, it's just a nice story :-)