--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <r...@...> wrote:

> you may want to post this too. the basic set up i do

This is good advise for someone who wants to do their own guitar work.
 I have done some of this myself.  In the end taking your guitar to a
guy who does this all day every day is a better choice for beginning
players.  A new player doesn't understand the variables in fret buzz,
to be able to adjust this properly.  For example I am a barbarian on
guitar playing with heavy finger picks and snapping the strings Delta
style.  I have to have a higher action to accommodate this style.
Most new players are too tentative with their guitar at first and wont
discover the fret buzz till they are half way through a bottle of
bourbon and have played the chords to "Wild Thing" for the hundredth
time when they finally let loose.  But a good set up guy knows where
you are going to end up once you start really wailing on the thing!

The guy at my guitar center is big on the Breedlove brand.  They have
a lower end (about $300) guitar with a solid spruce top that sounds
great.  If you can afford it the solid top makes a big difference
because it will sound better over time.  The composite layered woods
used in cheaper guitars are held together with glue which degrades
over time so the guitar sounds deader and deader the more you play it.
It doesn't matter as much if the sides and back are a composite which
makes the guitar cheaper.

But some players do fine starting with a cheaper guitar to test their
interest and if they get into it they can graduate into a higher
quality. Maybe by then they are ready to jump to a solid wood American
made classic like a Taylor or Martin.  When you finally do get a
quality guitar in your hands there is a magic to it.  It takes your
performance to a new level.  But I am not a guitar fetishist.  I have
high quality guitars and beat the shit out of them.  I don't keep
looking for the next guitar for a special new sound.  I concentrate on
my side of the equation!

 is to tighten the truss