A few years ago (age 52) I decided to learn to play guitar and bought
a China made Guild which looks like and cost about the same as the
Nickle Creek - - I would venture to say that many of these guitars by
name brands are made in the same plants with a similar quality as
these Nickle Creeks and are simply packaged under different names.

However, when I get a chance to play or hear a mighty fine instrument
- like a higher end Martin, Collins or Martin, etc. - I can really
tell the difference - I don't ever want to put it down.

But my main point is that after playing a couple weeks and I then knew
about 5 chords, and it was only taking me about 31 seconds to switch
between chords - - a friend mentioned the best way to learn an
instrument was to play with others, and that I should go to some local
bluegrass jams.

Now, I didn't know exactly what bluegrass was but I (somewhat timidly)
went  - and I was tempted to keep my guitar in the car but I walked in
tried to keep up the best I could and I learned a whole bunch that
first night, and I still go about every week.

and at these BG jams lots of different types of music is played
including country, blues and light rock - the last one I was at we got
into a John Prine 'rant'

and of course now that I can finally play guitar well enough to hop in
at just about any speed and any tune even if I've never heard it
before - - now I decide to learn a second instrument (mandolin)