TurquoiseB wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozg...@...> wrote:
>
>> Eliza can't act. Last night's episode was probably the best
>> written and directed one so far.
>>

> Different strokes for different folks. I thought
> that the most recent episode was the weakest yet,
> by far.

I disagree.  The previous episodes were weaker.  I'll looking at it from
a production point of view not fanboy.  They still have a ways to go
though to get it right (if the series lasts that wrong).
>> The opening drew me in and pace was right except for the
>> little bits about with Topher and the boss about an event
>> between Sierra and the male doll which didn't move the
>> story forward, just seemed to be some titillating filler
>> (probably Fox dimbos asked for it).
>>

> Duh. It was a setup for a future episode. Obviously,
> Victor is starting to remember things he's not
> supposed to remember (like how to spring a boner),
> as Echo and Sierra are.

It didn't move the plot along and was weak.  It came off as filler in
that the writers didn't have enough material to fill 44 minutes with the
episode situation.
> Joss does "accumulated knowledge" over the course
> of the show, building in later episodes on what he
> has "planted seeds" for in earlier ones. He once
> said, "It's fascinating to me, the shows that I've
> always loved the best, 'Hill Street Blues, 'Wiseguy,'
> 'Twin Peaks' have always been shows that did have
> accumulative knowledge. One of the reasons why 'The
> X Files started to leave me cold was that after five
> years, I just started yelling at Scully, 'You're an
> idiot. It's a monster,' and I couldn't take it
> anymore. I need people to grow, I need them to change,
> I need them to learn and explore, you know, and die
> and do all of the things that people do in real life."

Sorry, I think Joss can do better.  But I'm watching critically
acclaimed shows all week.  This show is probably the least critically
acclaimed.  Hard to stand up to shows like "Damages" (almost too soap
opera for me but a good watch) and "CSI" (a smart cop show Larry
Fishburne this season) and of course "Dollhouse" after watching an
episode of BSG has some very tough competition ..... for one more week.
>> Last night's episode really exposed Eliza's acting inability.
>>

> She may not *be* a great actress. But I think that
> last night's episode was not the one on which to
> *judge* that. During the entire episode, she was
> either in the "Doll" state (with all her memories
> wiped and no personality) or a blind, brainwashed
> cult member. How much "range" is either of those
> personalities "supposed" to show?  :-)

I'm comparing acting skills against the other actors she was with and
she paled by comparison.  She pales even against the actress that plays
the Sierra character.  Tricia Helfer was a model who had very limited
acting experience and BSG's producers had concerns about but she was
able to pull off her role much to their pleasure.
>> She can't sell the role. So why is she in the series? Is
>> she Whedon's squeeze?
>>

> Joss is married with children. Eliza Dushku and he
> came up with the idea of "Dollhouse" together over
> lunch one day. She basically co-wrote the treatment
> used to sell the series. That probably has something
> to do with why she's in it.
She is credited with being the Executive Producer so that is what I
really figured.  She must have a rich uncle somewhere.  Maybe she should
stick to producing.  Though that's not to say that with some good acting
coaches she could get better.