TurquoiseB wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozg...@...> wrote:
>
>> TurquoiseB wrote:

>>> Different strokes for different folks. I thought
>>> that the most recent episode was the weakest yet,
>>> by far.
>>>

>> I disagree.
>>

> Bhairitu,
>
> "Different strokes for different folks" is
> what I said, and "Different strokes for
> different strokes" is what I meant. You
> can have your opinion; I can have mine.
> The universe is seemingly big enough to
> contain both of them.  :-)

I wanted to come back to this because you *conveniently* left off the
rest of my paragraph which stated I was judging from a production point
of view not taste.  I don't know if you've ever made any films, even
just short ones as I have using actors but I was looking at it much from
the standpoint of the techniques used in filmmaking.  I only bring this
back up after watching "At the Movies" weekly episode where of course as
has gone on for decades the two critics disagree.  But these new young
critics go much deeper into the reasons they dislike a film or like a
film than their predecessors (one is the son of Jeffery Lyons and the
other is a host on TCM).  "Drew me in" meant that good techniques were
used to keep me interested in the story.

And of course many people here would have loved that the story was about
a religious cult.  That was taking a bit of a risk because many in the
US did not take kindly to the feds action at Waco which this episode
would have brought to mind.  I think it is good when a show takes on a
touchy subject like that though the episode could have been fleshed out
a little more.  But I think in comparison to the weak and somewhat hack
writing I've seen in previous episodes this one worked a little better.

In the episode of the prior week they didn't give much of a reason to
stick around for the rest of the show except for a couple little
incidents that happened right before the first two commercial breaks.
Then they let down the audience by moving away from the focus on that
incident after the break.  Most writer would have resolved or pushed the
incident a little further right after the commercial break.  And after
many people have wondered why they are treading the same theme as "My
Own Worst Enemy" by having Echo lose her programming which happened many
times to Slater's character in that show.

So why don't you give us your "expert critic" break down of why you
thought this last episode was the weakest?  "Different strokes" is a bit
of cop out.   We know that you didn't like "Mad Men" though many of us
thought it was a great show and still do.  I liked "Mad Men" because I
grew up with people like that in the late 50's and early 60's.   Why
don't you share your "expert critic" analysis on "Synecdoche" with folks
here too?  I bet Judy would love that film because of it involving the
"theater scene" and resonated with me from what little I had to do with
theater.  Plus I just loved the way that Kaufman explored his themes.
It is not your everyday film.

BTW, on the forums I hang out on most people have similar opinions to
mine on "Dollhouse" but we're waiting for episode 6 to see if Joss can
bring any resuscitating  "magic" to it.  And BTW putting a show on
Friday or Saturday can tell you much about how a network regards a series.