On Mar 23, 2009, at 8:04 PM, ruthsimplicity wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jr_...@...> wrote:

Judy,

The jury about the reality of physics may still be out. For now, all of these scientists are still speculating. Even Hawking, the English physicist, has bet $100 that the scientists of the Hadron Collider in Switzerland will not find the missing particle needed to prove the unification theory in physics. Instead, Hawking is predicting that the scientists will find more particles to confuse the physics pot, so to speak.

Intuitively, I do appreciate the idea that a musician like Andrea Bocelli can be considered a scientist of the genius kind. The same could be said for Monet and other artists--writers included.

Regards,

JR

Quantum mechanics explains a lot, but the big problems arise when trying to form a unified field theory, which Hawking and others continue to struggle with. But there is no unified field theory yet, despite what Haglin says. As the quote in the first post says, ". . . if there's something about the physical world that quantum mechanics isn't telling you, it doesn't follow that those gaps can be filled with poetry." Mystical answers are not necessarily the correct answers.

Quantum Mechanics is often misused to explain more than it does. Consciousness is a big example. And classical physics still explains behavior of "large" objects. Classical physics isn't wrong, it just isn't the whole picture.

I really appreciate Ken Wilber's slant on physics, which is really the same slant anyone who is actually trained in physics will get right away: physics, at best, describes the gross--the very gross--physical world. Physicality. There's nothing spiritual about it at all. It a nuts and bolts worldview. It's only en extenso spiritually interesting at all. Consciousness is not the unified field, not by a long shot. In fact, if we really understand what spiritual paths who touch on this subject have to say, we realize it's not consciousness at all that is the unified field, it's prana. Interestingly, by Nirukta, prana actually means "first unit of energy", first as in "primary".

If you look at early MIU textbooks (privately printed), students were required to take an interdisciplinary set of courses which included physics. The physics module, as per the overriding TM mythology, compared the experience of TM to physics and the imaginary unified field of consciousness. But--and a very important "but"--at the end they explained in no uncertain terms, that you can only take analogies "so far". They admitted right up front they were "pushing it". But eventually these edges were blurred...and eventually, ignored. The Marshy said they should. So they did.