> Interestingly (as I'm sure you know), Pennington was
> for some years a TM teacher. He more or less ripped off
> the TM technique and adapted it to an explicitly
> religious context, as is obvious from his description
> above.

I'm pretty sure you are confusing him with Paul Marechal who was an M
initiator.  Basil was never a teacher, he was a full time Cistertian monk in
Spencer Mass who learned TM.

As a scholar in Christian mysticism he was an expert in the teachings of the
Jesus prayer.

> 4. Whenever you become aware of anything (thoughts,
> feelings, perceptions, images, associations, etc.),
> simply return to your sacred word, your anchor.

That is quite a paraphrase and might must as well have come from his
translations of the mystic's texts.  He was one of the world's most recognized
scholars of the early Christian mystic's writings.

Although Maharishi promotes the idea of coming back to the mantra was his
unique contribution, I'm not sure a broader study of the source documents would
support this.  But Basil's brief TM practice might have influenced his
interpretation so perhaps Maharishi does deserve credit for this insight.  In
any case he was not promoting a simple technique to experience the Hindu Atman,
he was using his prayer to connect to "God" through Christ.  He would happily
talk your ear off about the distinctions if you gave him a chance.

The subtle distinctions he made between the practices illuminate his
theological objections to the Hindu based TM technique which he felt was a
contradiction to the goals of Christian mystical prayer in the Hindu biased
form Maharishi taught it.