Thanks for the response. Comments below.

<snip>
> > Would it have
> > become less about self-discovery for you?
>
> No. It would have been irrelevant.
>
> But it would not have been irrelevant to, say,
> the former Catholic priest who shared a trailer
> with me at Humboldt.

(This was what, a rounding course? TTC? Neither?)

 If the origin and the
> nature of the mantras had not been hidden from
> him, he would never have begun TM. Some months
> later, he *did* learn about those origins,
> and dropped TM like a hot potato. He also
> felt betrayed and lied to.
>
> That's because IMO he *was* betrayed and lied
> to, by people like yourself who were trying to
> "protect" him from knowledge he "didn't need"
> to know.

See, here's my problem. If a former priest could
go this far--to the extent of attending a
residential course taught by MMY--without having
any suspicion that there was anything religious
about it, *how religious could what he was being
taught have been*?

And he was getting a lot more of the SCI-type
stuff than Lynch's kids will.

What exactly *did* he later learn about the
mantras and their origins? Was he told they
were the "names of Hindu gods"? Or just that
Hindus associated them with gods? Did he do any
research into the origins of the bija mantras?
Did he come to believe he had been invoking
actual supernatural beings?

This kind of thing just makes no sense to me.
It seems to me that the outrage is a function
of getting only *part* of the picture beyond
what you get in the basic TM course.

(And not incidentally, there has been *at least*
as much "deception" from those seeking to paint
TM as Hinduism as there has been from the TMO
seeking to paint it as secular, and on the basis
of a far less admirable motivation. Of course,
that gets into the issue of whether ends ever
justify means, but I don't believe there's an
absolute answer to that.)

I don't have any particular comment on most of
the rest of what you write, although I do disagree
with the "baby steps" characterization. But that's
a different issue.

One final point:

> So, bottom line, the issue of whether TM or
> the TMO were a religion had nothing to do with
> *MY* walking away from TM. But that issue was
> and will continue to be important to those
> who feel a loyalty to a particular religion,
> and later find that information was hidden
> from them that caused them to (in their own
> eyes) violate the tenets of that religion.
>
> That is essentially what you have been advo-
> cating lately.

What I would like above all would be for folks
to have the *complete* picture. It wouldn't
satisfy the fundamentalist types, of course,
but I'd be willing to bet that a good portion
of the more reasonable folks, including many
nonfundamentalist religionists, would realize
the "Hindu origins" bit is just not significant.

But there's *no way* people can ever have the
complete picture without really getting into it,
including plenty of experience of the technique.

In between virtually no information about TM's
origins and context and full information, there's
a big swath of *partial* information that is
essentially misleading. If one thinks practice
of the TM technique is highly beneficial for
most people, and conveying full information
isn't a practical option, what does one do?